Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Plain Folk

Visiting the bucolic Mennonite village in Michigan, I wondered if maybe I got it wrong. Maybe I'd be better off with a little white cap, a husband who spends long days doing honest farm work, and a kitchen with a wood burning stove.

But the more pressing matter on my mind is this: if your culture opts to eschew the modern conveniences of microwave ovens, air conditioning, and lipstick, the why, oh why the shoes? Yes she's wearing Crocs, which as far as I'm concerned are a bigger blight on mankind than The Herp; I mean herpes is self limiting, spontaneously resolving after a few days, while Crocs are FOREVER. This is tragic, nearly as bad a seeing a white kid with dreadlocks.

Really. If I got to choose just one thing that modernity has to offer it would not be Crocs; maybe a nice low Prada slingback, maybe a shiny little Ferragamo slipper, BUT NOT Crocs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like "Crocs" ....N O T

Anonymous said...

Heartbreaking!!!

I am so glad you got that photo op.

Kudos.