Saturday, January 30, 2010

Shoes & Tackle

My woes have been eased, the cruel wounds rent in my soul temporarily patched with material goods! I'm sooooo cheap!
In the space of one day I've been gifted with a new fishing rod and purchased enchanting new shoes.
I defiantly do not know how to fly fish, but I have a long-standing desire to learn how. I chatted with one of my elderly gents who has spent many hours toward perfecting the skill, then whatdaya know? next day he brought me a rod of my own (don't try to make this dirty).

I think it could be a nice outdoor hobby because unlike golf, one is not required to socialize or wear bad pants.
As much as I love to run, I can't count on my knees holding up forever, so it's good to have a backup. This type of fishing also has special shoe requirements which is always something with which I can happily comply, even if they are waders.
Now all I need is a stream; chances are I can outfit myself almost entirely by sifting through the contents of Mr. Bunkers treasure troves.

I clawed my way into Neiman's on the last day of the sale, busted out the St. John's saleslady's teefs with my elbow when she tried telling me that the new pieces in her line were "hip and young" and that when she wears them to travel she often gets first class upgrades. They upgrade you if you're wearing St. John because they want you to be close to the crapper in case the Depends don't hold up and there is a dribble problem.

Anyway, the shoes (Chloe) are sort of practical; I could still chase down a purse snatcher or beat down an errant child in them, all while still looking like the classy broad that I am. Hooray for me.

7 comments:

Ann T. said...

Dear Mrs. Bunker,
I'm so glad you will be able to fly fish. That completes my knowledge of this portion of your post. You will have to train us a little. I look forward to it.

I am truly envious of your new blue shoes. kick-ass.

But most of all, I am in awe of the one-stroke answer to those who advocate knit, faux-Chanel styling in shapes designed to make any derriere but no derriere into an object of disdain.

The dowager derriere was in the last post, too. Adele is much more tasteful but far less interesting to contemplate.

You rock in new blue shoes or out of them,
Ann T.

Capt. Schmoe said...

As a hack recreational fisherman, I have spent many hours on the banks of the Owens river in California's Sierra Nevada mountains. Often, a lone fly fisherman will wade downstream and pass my spot. It is truly an amazing thing to watch a skilled caster manipulate the fly to exactly where it is needed to catch a native trout.

I would suggest traveling to the eastern Sierra in summer and going to this ranch - http://www.hotcreekranch.com/ to get professional instruction and guide services. While doing that, Mr. B can peruse the quality thrift shops in nearby Mammoth Lakes or Bishop and find plenty of bargains.

I cannot say enough about the eastern Sierra. It is the home of my soul.

Capt. Schmoe said...

Cool shoes btw. The heels are a little high for me though. My ankles just can't take anything taller that 3 inches.

Edith Bunker said...

Ann T., I'm pleased that we are in agreement concerning St. John. I never thought of the faux-Chanel aspect, but you are dead on about that. Also, knit-wear is knit-wear no matter how many shiny accouterments, and will ultimately be less figure-flattering than your basic burka (this could be why Archie keeps buying the crap for me).

Capt., thank you for the fishing website, it looks perfect, I'll just have to cancel the Mr.'s credit cards so he doesn't decide to buy a truckload of rocks or a few head of cattle (the ones on clearance of course).
AND you'd be FINE in the heels, you're just not trying hard enough.

Anonymous said...

Fish like we do down South...with Dynamite...
"Beat down an errant child IN them????" more like WITH them..
U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no Alibi..

Even my normally diplomatic Daughter #1 says they Suck...

Frank

Edith Bunker said...

Frank,
I'm sure #1 is a lovely girl, but her fashion sense is questionable. I know the jury is still out on what early exposure to Roxette videos can do to a developing brain, but clearly there are long term sequelae. It's not your fault Frank, you didn't know!
And if undergrad memories serve me, women attending tech universities aren't always on the leading edge of the fashion world.
I'm sure there are exceptions.

Unknown said...

Oh SNAP Edith! lmao!!

Dont worry Frank. I've actually contemplated what type of kids you actually have, what with YOU the father and all. And I've come to the conclusion they are probably more normal than most and have a better sense of humor. I'm sure.

Edith, I've plastered your girl on my page.....