Monday, March 16, 2009

Haggis: Chitterlings for white folks

Shirking parental duty was not what I had in mind when I suggested Miss H. use Haggis as an example of a cultural dish for her school project. Honest and truly, I didn't know that the second grade was going to have an open house with everyone bringing in said traditional cultural dish in to share. I guess sometimes you just get lucky.

I made her embrace her Scottish heritage instead of that dego mess which contributed to the other half of her genes. Thus, instead of spaghetti and gellato, her poster was Haggis with a wee tot of a nice single malt scotch. And what is haggis? It's basically a sheep's internal organs cooked in the sheep's stomach or intestine. DELICIOUS!!

When the teacher was putting the list together of what everyone was going to bring, somehow we ended up with paper plates instead of our cultural dish. Discrimination hurts and I'd sue somebody but what if I ended up having to actually eat some of that dish of lips and assholes to prove my passion for my cause? eww. way to risky.

Provided below is a recipe for haggis, just in case anyone wishes to give it a try.
        1 cleaned sheep or lamb's stomach bag
        2 lb. dry oatmeal
        1 lb chopped mutton suet
        1 lb lamb's or deer's liver, boiled and minced
        1 pint (2 cups) stock
        the heart and lights of the sheep, boiled and minced
        1 large chopped onion
        1/2 tsp.. each: cayenne pepper, Jamaica pepper, salt and pepper

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you could have sent the whiskey?

Anonymous said...

We went to a Robert Burns Night celebration a while back. There were bagpipes and kilts, whiskey and of course haggis. The ceremonial piping in of the haggis (marching the haggis around to room to the delicate strains of a bagpipe) was followed by a reverent Burns recitation on the glories of the haggis. We didn't understand a lot of it because the Scotsman who was serving as host was too outrageously accented. Great night and the haggis was delicious! But not as good as what I had in pubs in Scotland.

Karilee said...

Well, now, that is quite a recipe...I think I'm vowing to NEVER make it...EVER. Not that I wouldn't try eating it, but there are somethings that you really don't want to know the true recipe for.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!