Monday, April 14, 2008

Perma-snot and sticky hands

Permasnot is the stuff that dwells on the kid's upper lips just below their nostrils from October until April. It leads directly to crusty shirt sleeves and juicy hugs, particularly evident if one is wearing black and/or headed to the office.

I don't know the origin of the sticky hands. I just know that they are always that way. It doesn't seem to matter how vigorously or frequently hand washing occurs.

Part of the current bedtime ritual is the "quiet contest". They both say prayers and tell me about their day at school. Then I announce that there will be a quiet contest and say "ready, set, go!"
They strive to be noiseless, hardly breathing until they fall asleep, unless they have a rare irrepressible urge to make me check under the bed for monsters, or to rat the other out for audibly adjusting the bedsheets. The mystery to me is, why play? There is no prize. Usually there is no announced winner because they both fall asleep. But night after night they are willing and excited to play. They are so easy to con, I figure I better make use of it now because in a few years they'll be running the con and I'll be the chump.
I guess I also deserve payback for the time when they were really little and they said "mommy mommy will you take us to the park?" and I said " no honey, it's raining" when it really wasn't.

No comments: