Thursday, November 5, 2009

Concert Review: A Fine Frenzy

OK, so let's just start with the fact that I am not a harsh critic; if there's not a purple dinosaur singing and some sticky runt's not shoving an empty juice box into my hand, then you can pretty much color me happy. So in my humble opinion, the show was masterful. Almost.

"A Fine Frenzy" (Alison Sudol) was first spotted by my musically sophisticated (aka snobbish) friend when opening for Rufus "I'm wearing Lederhosen" Wainwright. At that time she was sort of an angsty little pinhead, and I loved her immediately. Someone must have really whacked her dosing, because last night she was all happy & bouncy, more consistent with someone who dots her letter i with a heart than a crabby poet. Instead of wailing along with her piano, she was skipping around to a Blondie song. She almost fell down, and believe what you will, but I KNOW that the near-fall was because the stank stare administered by my disappointed girlfriend; a stare like that can actually singe your hair or turn you into a pillar of salt, trust this!
The real musicians in my group looked as offended as a bunch of Southern Baptist ladies getting a lap dance; however, I would go again tonight if she was playing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ooOOoo she's a freak!! I like her!!!

Edith Bunker said...

"one cell in the sea" is a great album. recommended!

Anonymous said...

Man, the Tuna must have been really ripe, I mean, I LOVE angsty pinhead rocker grrrls...
And please tell me the Blondie tune she covered was "The Hardest Part"...Something about Chicks singin about Acetylene Torches just does it for me...

Frank

Edith Bunker said...

Naw, Heart of Glass. Sorry Frank.