Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Tween Vampires


Because my house is an autocracy and censorship is alive and well here, I'm forced to read and vet the current youth literature offerings. This was delightful for Harry Potter, and tolerable for that book about the flying bear. Now there is "Twilight" with it's 3 sequels, which seems to be surpassing Hannah Montana in popularity, and it's fucking excruciating.

Yes, they extol virtue and restraint, but besides that they pretty much read like a Harlequin romance (which I LOVED when I was 12). Miss H. is probably a few years away from reading these because there is very little action, just a lot of nuanced love shit. I will attempt to illustrate the style of " Twilight" by constructing some sappy drivel:

"His tawny eyes were irascible and his sensuous mouth formed a hard line with anger. Her expressive eyes flashed with emotion and her high cheekbones flushed with bright color, making her glorious in her rage. She tossed her tangled tresses, assaulting his anger-heightened senses with it's heady scent. Unwillingly his anger started to melt, his eyes softening and his sculpted biceps relaxing; he let his breath out in a long heartfelt sigh. They could manage this one time without the butt plug."

See what I mean?? just dreadful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you took that bullet for me, sis. I REALLY did not want to have to read those books. I think I would have spewed all over it before I got through the first five pages and then I would have had to buy a new copy for K. So thank you for saving my sanity, money and digestive system.

Edith Bunker said...

Yea.