Saturday, June 14, 2008

free clinic & flag day

Never mind that it's balls to the wall study time for boards, my peeps need me for the once-a-month free clinic, serving the city's homeless, needy and generally scrambled. That is where I am known as Dr. P-A and my partner is Dr. I-N. That spells PAIN for you slow ones.

The regulars line up at the crack of dawn like it's a rock concert, and then they bicker like little kids about who gets to go first. Usually Geraldine gets to go first because she is the loudest. She doesn't really even have anything wrong with her, she just wants to be first on general principal, and get the first crack at any freebies. She visits and complains about the surgery that she had 20 years ago, and asks the same questions every month about revision.

Mr. C visits each month so I can clean up his ankles after he gets shackled, which by his own admission happens because he gets drunk & belligerent in public areas. He was very suspicious of us when we started the clinic and despite his truly great need, he just lurked around for the first several months we were there. He asked who was paying, why were we there, and refused to accept any reason given until finally someone said something about community service, which he naturally assumed was court ordered, and now he's a happy regular visitor. He asks how long I have to come and probably thinks I did something pretty bad, as I told him there was no end in sight. He likes me better now that he thinks that I've run afoul of the law; I wonder what he thinks I did.

Another regular, Roberta, greeted us by saying "happy flag day" but it sounded very much like she said "happy fag day", which probably wasn't a mistake, as we were next to Stanely, our regular girly man. He took no offense, only pointed out that Roberta's flag scarf did not match her pants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.