Thursday, April 22, 2010

Oahu Stairway to Heaven Hike & other nice things

This is Sandy Beach on Oahu, which is where you should go if you want to know what it feels like to go through a spin cycle in a Maytag. The beach is beautiful, the surfer boys who frequent the beach are also beautiful. The waves are a little too big, and even though I'm a good swimmer I was pretty sure I was going to drown a couple of times. The price of survival included having sea water drip out of my nose for the following day or so, and some sand which became so lodged upon my person that I could probably produce a grain or two right now if you give me a minute. My hosts found this tremendously amusing.

Next is Kailua beach. The warm water is some impossible shade of blue (not accurately represented by this photo) that I previously thought was restricted to interior designer's vocabularies and towels in fancy spas.
The sand is white and smooth, and it is rather awe inspiring to see it all in nature. The waves are small enough that the kids were allowed to frolic even though Mr. Bunker was certain an attack of sharks, jellyfish, killer whales or rouge waves was eminent; well almost certain enough to get off his ass instead of just shouting, but not quite (the sea breeze was noted to dampen noise in most appealing way).





We did several great hikes, but certainly the most memorable was the one known as "Stairway to Heaven".
This is closed to the public but I was permitted to participate because I'm sooo fab. Not really, but my friends who live there know the people you need to know.

"It's a great climb with amazing views, everyone wants to do this climb, you have to be in pretty good shape to do it, just grown-ups, no kids no dogs", "blah blah blah" and so on.

Most of the focus seemed to be on who had adequate cardio fitness to make it; I guess it's my own fault that I failed to mention that I'm afraid of heights which can come in to play if you are climbing ladders up the side of a fucking mountain.
The climb is almost four thousand steps up to the summit. The stairs were built by the Coast Guard for the purpose of sacrificing virgins during wartime. It starts pretty gently, and by the time I figured out that I was going to be scared, my stomach had already turned into a tight ball and fallen right out of my ass. This helped in that I did not need a snack for the duration of the climb.
When I got to the first landing I realized that I had made a terrible mistake and requested helicopter rescue. My very excellent guide, Joe, gently told me that I was acting like a giant pussy and would regret it for the rest of my life on earth if I didn't finish.
Not exactly those words you know, but that was what my ears heard. So I proceeded upward and soon found myself in a cloud which was helpful because I couldn't see how far up I was, however it made me so cold that I started to shiver and my hands got numb which made it hard to cling to the rungs. I made it to the top and scrawled my name in the book with my numb hands, so there is actual proof.

I survived and will probably be somewhat boastful, and act as if I just trotted up there instead of whimpering like a freshly Simonized American Idol contestant.
You can see everything from up there, even the "Swan" site from "Lost".
Where were you Sawyer, when I needed to be rescued?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandy Beach??
wasn't that where Greg Brady had that surfing accident??? or maybe it was Kailua beach...or was that where Bobby found the native idol that cursed all there careers....
and if you didn't stop by Dog the Bounty Hunters place you aren't the Mrs. Bunker I know..

Frank

Ann T. said...

Dear Mrs. Bunker,
The beaches sound wonderful. I have always wanted to know about that Maytag spin cycle.

Once I did get into an amusement arcade ride that was very much like the dryer. All the more so because it was a humid summer afternoon in the Texas. We were whirled around inside a huge drum and then the floor dropped below us. For awhile I was afraid I was going to lose my matching sock.

As for climbing, and people that call you names like pussy, there is always revenge. Perhaps he is afraid of spiders, or white mice, or even Deep Thoughts. Those can always be found or purchased and presented as a gift of thanks.

If Deep Thoughts do not work, perhaps shallow ones will. I do have several poems that should make him agonize. They are all by people who will provide uplift without remorse. I would damn them all for lifting and separating, but they do make such fine instruments of torture.

If you can make it through the climb, the fear, the mists, and malnutrition, Mrs. Bunker, you can make it through anything.

We at sea level salute you,
Ann T.

CholeraJoe said...

And a new day will dawn
For those who stand long
And the forests will
Echo with laughter.

And here I thought you were a tough chick surgeon.

Edith Bunker said...

Why yes Frank, I think that Sandy Beach is where things went bad for Greg Brady as well as every other foolish moron who dares to try stupid tourist tricks. I forgot all about Dog the Bounty Hunter, I was too busy looking for Hugo Hurly and Dr. Jack Shepard from lost.

Ann, I do feel somewhat emboldened for overcoming a phobia. I'm not sure where I'm going with it yet, but I'm feeling a bit puffed up about it.

C.J., ok. I'm a baby. pass the bong dude.

Unknown said...

lol, thats some high shit! Well done Edith. Dont know that I'd have done it. ;)

Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Oh man. Jesus. If you're still on Oahu you might as well be in downtown CLEVELAND with thump trucks and thump cars and buses and all that crap.

Let me know when you get to a REAL "away" kinda place.

(sound of heavy sighing here)

BZ

Edith Bunker said...

BZ: I can climb & ride & hike & run all day long. Then I want a hot bath and a nice bed with starched sheets and fluffy pillows.
I guess I may have to reevaluate these wishes in pursuit of my fishing avocation.

(heavy sigh)

CrazyPoet said...

Beautiful photos! Congrats on making the climb! What's next? Everest? Kilamanjaro?

Welcome back!

Linnnn said...

I don't think the Coast Guard was sacrificing virgins per se.

Amazing adventure for you, Edith! I am soooooo jealous.

Edith Bunker said...

Kilimanjaro MAYBE. Everest never. ever.

Linnn, it was a great adventure. And perhaps you are correct about the whole virgin thing.